The assessment and treatment for all Substance and drug
abuse patients, is similar with few exceptions. Identifing the substance
should be of prime concern for the EMT Basic, but does not effectively
change the treatment procedures. The following is a good starting point for
all suspected of confirmed substances.
- SCENE SIZE UP
- Why were you called?
- Priority for transport
- Baseline Vitals
- MAY COME FROM BYSTANDER
- Substance? - Anything besides ETOH
- When (last drink)
- Over what period of time?
- Estimated Weight
- COMPLETE SAMPLE
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
- Odor of Alcohol (Do not confuse with acetone breath).
- Swaying and unsteadiness
- Slurred speech, rambling thoughts
- Flushed appearance to the face
- Nausea or vomiting
- Poor coordination
- Blackout and Altered Mental Status
- Airway, airway, airway
- Monitor mental status
- In the case of "ecstasy" treat for dehydration and heat exhaustion
- Monitor vital signs
- Treat for shock
- Protect patient from self-injury (possible restraint)
- Watch for seizures
Copyright © 2004
please e-mail me @- EMS Consultants
Revised - April 2004